Lemonade Alley Contest Rules
Smart entrepreneurs read rules carefully to find opportunities to excel ~ so READ ON! If your Lemonade Alley is run as a fully judged contest (ask your organizers), the following rules apply to you and your team. Check back frequently for updates. Now, on with the rules:
Your team must conform to the following:
- 2-5 Youth Per Team.
- Three Age Divisions: grades K-4, 5-8, 9-12.
- Mixed-Age Teams compete in grade division of oldest team member.
- Team President: designate a leader to serve as your spokesperson and primary contact.
- Team Treasurer: designate someone to handle forms and donations. Adults are welcome to help with these duties, especially in the K-4 division.
- Mentors & Helpers: you may include any number of adults and friends. However, only official team members are eligible to receive prizes and official team materials.
2. Your Charity
Your team’s net income will be contributed to the charity of your choice under the following rules:
- Official Nonprofit Organization: You may contribute team proceeds to any charity provided it’s a nonprofit organization with official capacity to collect tax-deductible donations, commonly known as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- Presentation of Donation: Following the competition, Lemonade Alley will send you a check written to your nonprofit so your team can present the funds to your charity. We suggest taking a picture so you can share your story on our Blog.
- Default Charity (Lemonade Alley): Lemonade Alley is designated as the default nonprofit if you don’t select a custom charity. If you contribute to Lemonade Alley, we’ll thank you profusely and use the money to help defray costs.
- Spread the Lemon Love: To spread the Lemon Love as widely as possible and support a maximum number of organizations and causes, let’s designate no more than two teams per charity. Be sure to claim your cause soon.
- Be Committed: A ton of planning and volunteer time goes into creating these transformative events. Last-minute drop outs are a bummer, so $25 dollar deposit will be donated to BizGym Foundation to make good.
3. Pre-Event Scrip
Teams are offered the chance to sell scrip before the event under the following rules:
- Pre-Sales Encouraged: teams are encouraged to raise money before the Main Event by testing recipes and/or creating coupons (official event scrip will only be sold at the Main Event). Teams are also encouraged to raise money and test recipes before the Main Event through pre-selling events.
- Donation Credit to Charity: If a donor wishes a pre-event scrip donation to be credited toward a specific team’s charity, such scrip must be given to the desired team to be turned in as Competition Day income.
4. Event Scrip, Donations & Reimbursements
During the event, your treasurer will make periodic income deposits to the Lemon Bank. This will keep booths safe from having large amounts of cash on hand. Your treasurer is responsible for all form filings:
- “Lemon Bank” Deposits: each treasurer is responsible for completing deposit forms and turning in scrip and cash donations on a periodic basis during the competition.
- Expense Reimbursement Forms: each treasurer is responsible for completing reimbursement forms and including copies of all receipts. Reimbursements will only be honored for expenses documented by receipt copies.
- Charity Selection Form: each treasurer is responsible for filing the charity selection form and other official documents.
Lemon Bank tellers will check-in all forms for tabulation and accounting purposes. Adults are welcome to help with these duties, especially in the K-4 division.
5. Products & Services (Your Recipe)
Your offerings must conform to the following rules:
- Lemonade Recipe: Lemons are required as a key ingredient in your main product, as “Lemoniness” is a key judging criteria. You might consider healthy alternatives, such as using zest to achieve lemoniness as it requires less sweeteners to make a tasty drink. Frozen, cold and secret ingredients are up to you. However, they must be legal and safe to consume. No alcohol is permitted.
- No Heated Products Unless Prepared & Packaged in a Commercial Kitchen: For food safety reasons, you cannot use heating elements to prepare food or drink products unless they’re prepared and packaged in a certified kitchen, like a restaurant. Partnering with restaurants and other foodservice enterprises is encouraged. They know about food safety and can help create recipes. These partners can also help with promotions, such as putting your recipes on their menus and donating a percentage of proceeds to your team.
- 1-3 Ounce Cup Size Recommended: Small serving sizes are recommended because most attendees will want to taste many different recipes. And keeping your product size small keeps costs low and profits high. This is only a recommendation. But if you don’t break even, you won’t be able to recoup reimbursements in excess of your income.
- Additional Offerings Allowed: You are permitted to offer items other than lemonade as a way to increase income. Games and craft products are permitted as long as they are safe and legal. All food items, whether cold or hot, must be prepared and pre-packaged in a commercially certified kitchen prior to the competition. And you must attest to that fact. As noted above, we suggest partnering with a restaurant or other sponsor who could promote your team and help raise money prior to Competition Day.
- Supplies & Reimbursements: You must provide your own serving containers, signage and any other items necessary to the functioning of your booth. You must also provide free taste samples for a panel of eight judges. You may apply for reimbursements on competition day.
6. Sales Environment (Your Booth)
Your lemonade stand must conform to the following rules:
- Design Requirements
- Tents & Infrastructure Provided: each team will be assigned a 10×10 area under a large 40×100 tent. Teams may dress tables, hang menus and build props in front of tables.
- StoryTree Poster (8 1/2″ X 11″) must be displayed on your booth front at table or eye height so Judges can review your Business Plan and Sponsor and Charity selections.
- Free-Standing: nothing can be secure to any walls or objects including trees and landscape elements.
- Secured Against Wind: Large objects must be secured with sandbags or 5-gallon buckets of water.
- No Blocking Other Teams: You cannot block any team’s booth in any way. Please be fair.
- Technical Provisions
- Tables and Chairs will be provided. Just bring signage, decorations, equipment and anything else necessary to the functioning of your booth.
- No Site Power: Power is not available on-site. Battery-powered equipment and lighting is permitted. Generators are permitted if they’re quiet and don’t disturb other contestant presentations.
- Sound is Permitted: Sound and in-booth activities are permitted. However, they should not disturb or unfairly impinge on neighbor booths.
- Additional Items
- Uniforms: you may create your own uniforms or wear Lemonade Alley T-shirts. Many teams wear both, such as a Lemonade Alley shirt and an apron.
- Mascots & Callers: may roam outside your booth as long as they don’t impede traffic or set up stationary items.
- NO PETS: Sorry, no cats, dogs, mice, etc. Lemonade Alley is a food event so animals (except human beings ~ we are apparently cleaner than the rest) are not allowed by health department regulations.
- NO DUMPING: Environmental Protection Agency laws require that no liquids, even excess ice, can be dumped in any way. Substantial fines may occur if you’re caught and your team will be held solely responsible for such penalties. The best policy is to take excess liquids home with you for proper disposal.
- Hand-Washing/Gloves/Dump Stations, etc.: washing facilities, gloves, dump stations and other sanitary programs will be strictly enforced. Your local producer will inform you of requirements.
7. 1-Minute Sales Pitch
Your pitch must conform to the following rules:
- 1-Minute on Stage: You will get exactly one minute to pitch why people should buy your lemonade. You may sing, rap, dance, use signs, do a skit, just talk or do anything as long as it’s in good taste and fair to other contestants. Profanity and other non-family presentations are not allowed.
- Microphones & Music: Mics will be provided for your sales pitch. Music tapes are allowed and must be presented to the stage crew before you come to the stage
- Timer & Gong: A stage manager will time your pitch and gong you off stage when time expires.
All teams are encouraged to do pre-marketing (and pre-donations). This helps raise more money for charities and ultimately gets more people to the event.
- Taste-Tests & Dry Runs: Taste-tests and other pre-events are a good way to make your business show-ready. You are encouraged to gain feedback and promote your booth before the event.
- Media Promotions: You are encouraged to call TV, radio, newspaper, magazine and other media outlets to tell the story of your booth and that charity you’re playing for. Many teams have succeeded in getting into local press. If you do, be sure to mention when and where your event is so viewers can come see your booth. You are also encouraged to thank your event’s main sponsors in interviews, as sponsors make Lemonade Alley possible.
- Social Media: Team members or helpers who are old enough to legally maintain social media accounts may promote their teams on network such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and others. You may open pages, make movies and post fun things to promote and keep followers up to date on your Lemonade Alley experience. You may ask other students and adults for help but must keep all posted content legal and in good taste.
- Other Promotions: Flyers, business cards, discount coupons and other promotions are encouraged as long as they’re in good taste, safe for the environment and legal.
9. Judging Criteria
Lemonade Alley is judged by local experts with experience in business, foodservice, retail operations and public speaking. Teams of volunteer judges score on the following criteria:
- StoryTree® Business Plan (20%): equal % for each of the following:
- Business Roots (key trends, business model & charity integration)
- Trunk Message (name, logo & slogan)
- Sales Canopy (product & merchandising strategy)
- Audience Focus (understanding of key targets)
- Lemonade Recipe (20%): equal % for each of the following:
- Flavor (lemoniness, sweet-to-sour ratio, overall flavor)
- Healthiness (nutrition, low acid, low sugar, organic)
- Mouth Feel (texture & temperature)
- Presentation (cupping & visual appeal)
- Lemonade Stand (20%): equal % for each of the following:
- Message Quality (persuasiveness & clarity)
- Customer Experience (courtesy, issue-handling)
- Sales Efficiency (ordering, purchase & pickup experience)
- Cleanliness: (team members, customer areas & production areas)
- Sales Pitch (20%): equal % for each of the following:
- Projection (audience connection skills)
- Use of Time (optimized time & finish on-time)
- Message Quality (persuasiveness, clarity)
- Entertainment Value (catchy, creative)
- Net Income (20%): equal % for each of the following:
- Break-even (half of Net Performance 20%): teams that have greater than zero Net Income automatically receive full credit for this criteria. Teams that have Net Income less than zero receive no points for this criteria.
- Grading Curve (half of Net Performance 20%): Income Performance is scored on a Net Income Curve calculated from the average of all Teams’ Net Income (see calculation below). Grading on a curve helps ensure fairness from any single team “buying off” the competition through delivering extreme monetary donations. The Curve is calculated by the Top Net Income Team in the division receiving full credit for this criteria. Other teams receive points in this criteria that are calculated as a percentage of their Net Income as compared to the division’s Top Team’s Net Income. Net Income is calculated as follows:
- START with Gross Income: Includes event day Scrip and Cash donated to each team at their booths. Team Treasurers are responsible for depositing all such donations at the “Lemon Bank” before Sales Closing on Competition Day. Income turned in after Sales Closing will not count for Net Performance Judging, but may be included in final charity distributions.
- SUBTRACT Expense Reimbursements: Team Treasurers may apply for reimbursement of legitimate costs by completing an itemized Reimbursement Form. Teams are required to include copies of receipts in order to qualify for reimbursement. Reimbursements must be applied for before Sales Closing on Competition Day and will only be honored up to the amount of Gross Income turned in at the Lemon Bank. Amounts in excess of Gross Income will not be reimbursed. You may elect not to applying for reimbursement in order to maximize your judging score thereby contributing more to your charity and gaining judging points. Adults are welcome to help with these duties, especially in the K-4 division.
- TOTAL Net Income: Net Income is the criteria used for judging the contest, however 20% Lemonade Tax will be deducted prior to Charity Donation Distributions (see Distributions Calculation below).
10. Calculation of Distributions
Monetary distributions will be sent to each team president’s legal guardian by mail following the competition. Distributions are calculated as follows:
- Expense Reimbursements Deducted & Paid: Provided a team makes enough Gross Income to cover reimbursement requests, a reimbursement check for legitimate expenses will be deducted from Gross Income and mailed.
- 20% Lemonade Tax Deducted from Gross Income & Distributed: Lemonade Tax will be deducted from Gross Income. Half the tax will be distributed to BizGym Foundation for advancement of the Lemonade Alley System. The other half will be distributed to the lead producing organization to help defray costs of your local competition.
- Charity Donations: Net income available after reimbursement and Lemonade Tax deductions will be distributed by check made out to each team’s charity. Charity donation checks will be mailed to each team president’s legal guardian so teams can present funds to charities in person.
Each division has associated prizes for top-placing teams. Cash prizes are awarded on a team basis and will be divided equally among individuals of winning teams. Additional special prizes may be made available.
12. Be Cool Rule
This provision requires that you play fairly, honestly and safely in the best interest of a healthy and positive business community at Lemonade Alley. It also requires that you do not unfairly overshadow or disturb other competitors from transacting their businesses. Violations of this rule will be handled case-by-case by event staff and may include you being required to stop a specific action or make amends. A particularly negative situation may result in disqualification and ejection from the competition. Please be cool.
General Terms & Conditions
Lemonade Alley is presented by your local producer for the betterment of youth, charities and the community at large. Supporting licensor BizGym Foundation (“Sponsor”), corporate donors, judges, volunteers and VIPs are not presenting entities and thus not responsible for any event activities or liabilities stemming from local events.
By entering this Contest, you (Entrant), your guardians and designates agree to release, hold harmless and indemnify Sponsor, producers, organizers, their affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, judges, and each of their respective shareholders, directors, officers, employees or representatives from and against any and all liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, harm, damage (including but not limited to property damage, personal injury and/or death), claims, actions, costs and expenses (including without limitation, all attorneys’ fees and court costs) arising directly or indirectly from or in connection with any prize or resulting from participation in this Contest or from acceptance, possession or use/misuse of any prize or participation in any prize-related activity or use by the Sponsor of the Entry in any manner.
In the event any Participant is a minor under applicable state law, the parent or legal guardian will be required to sign all required documents stated herein.
Submission of a Contest Entry will constitute and signify the Entrant’s agreement and consent (or that of parent or legal guardian if Entrant is an eligible minor under applicable law) that the Sponsor and/or the Sponsor’s assignees may use the Entry, name, photograph, likeness and/or prize information for promotional purposes in commerce and in all media worldwide now known or hereinafter developed without time limitation and without further compensation, except where prohibited. Submission of a Contest Entry grants the Sponsor and its agents the right to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify the Entry in any way, in commerce and in any and all media worldwide now known or hereinafter invented, without time limitation and without further consideration to the Entrant. Submission of any Entry further constitutes the Entrant’s (or his/her parent’s or guardian’s) consent to irrevocably assign and transfer to the Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in and to the Entry, including, without limitation, all intellectual property rights.
All Prize Winners are solely responsible for any local, state, or federal taxes on prizes. Prizes will be void where prohibited.
If, for any reason, this Contest is not capable of running as planned by any cause which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, or if due to any technical, production or other error, more prizes are claimed or awarded than are described in these Official Rules at any prize level, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Contest and determine the Winners from entries received prior to action taken, or as otherwise deemed fair and equitable by Sponsor.
You also agree not to violate any dumping, health safety, public assembly or any other laws. In the event that you violate any such laws, you solely bear resulting liabilities for your actions.
Prizes, even if stated in Official Rules are not guaranteed to be awarded. By entering, Entrants agree and consent: (a) that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of Official Rules, Entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with this Contest, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of Hawaii, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, and (b) to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in Honolulu, Hawaii.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of an Entrant, such Entry will be deemed to be made by the authorized account holder of the e‑mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is deemed as the natural person who is assigned to an e‑mail address by an Internet access provider, service provider or other online organization that is responsible for assigning e‑mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e‑mail address. Neither Sponsor nor its agencies are responsible for lost, late, stolen, illegible, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete, or non-delivered entries; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Website or other connections availability, accessibility or traffic congestion, or miscommunications, or failed computer, network, telephone, satellite, or cable hardware, software or lines, or technical failure, or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions, or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of Entry or other information or the failure to capture, or loss of, any such information. Neither Sponsor nor its agencies are responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Website users, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest and assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or tampering with or hacking of Website. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds may be tampering with the entry process or operation of this Contest or Website, may be acting in violation of the terms of the Website or the Official Rules or may be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to threaten, abuse or harass any other person. Any attempt to deliberately damage any Website or undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is unlawful and subject to legal action by Sponsor or its agents.
IN NO EVENT WILL SPONSOR, ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES AND RELATED COMPANIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS CONTEST, INCLUDING ENTRANTS ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE CONTEST INTERNET SITE OR DOWNLOADING FROM AND OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURSIDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
GUARDIAN CONSENT: Parents and Guardians hereby grant permission for Entrants to participate in the Lemonade Alley competition. Activities include, but are not limited to, Entrants making a 1-page business plan, making lemonade, building a lemonade stand, pitching on stage, and selling lemonade to raise money for charity. Transportation to and from the site as well as Entrant supervision is the sole responsibility of respective Parents & Guardians.
INSURANCE: Lemonade Alley activities take place under the guidance and direction of the BizGym Foundation which is also the producing body for the event that is supplying liability insurance.
MEDICAL INSURANCE: Parents and Guardians assume all responsibility for the health of their respective Entrants. In the event of an emergency, telephone numbers will be held on file by Lemonade Alley staff for use in the case of emergency.
IMAGES: Photos and videos taken at various Lemonade Alley events may be posted to various publicity-disseminated media. Parents and Guardians herby grant Lemonade Alley and its designees the right to use their own and respective Entrant’s likeness, image, voice, appearance and performance in connection with program activities including workshops whether recorded on or transferred to videotape, film, slides, photographs, audio tapes, or other media, now known or later developed. This grant includes without limitation the right to edit, mix, or duplicate and use or re-use Content in whole or part as Lemonade Alley may elect. Lemonade Alley or its designee shall have complete ownership of Content, including copyright interests, and Parents and Guardians acknowledge they have no interest or ownership in Content or its copyright. Parents and Guardians also grant Lemonade Alley and its designees the right to broadcast, exhibit, market, sell and otherwise distribute Content, either in whole or in part, and either alone or with other content for commercial or non-commercial television or theater, closed-circuit exhibition, internet distribution, home video distribution or any other purpose that Lemonade Alley or its designees in their sole discretion may determine. This grant includes the right to use Content for promoting or publicizing any of the uses. Parents and Guardians hereby gives all clearances, copyright and otherwise for the use of their own and respective Entrant’s name, likeness, image voice, appearance and performance embodied in the Content. The rights granted Lemonade Alley herein are perpetual and worldwide.
HOLD HARMLESS & INDEMNIFICATION: Parents and Guardians agree to remain legally responsible for any and all personal actions taken by their respective Entrants along with team mentors, friends, family and others associated with team entries. Parents and Guardians agree on behalf of themselves and their respective Entrants named herein to hold harmless and defend Lemonade Alley, the BizGym Foundation, their designates, sponsors, officers, committee members, employees and agents from any and all claims known and unknown arising out of or in any way connected with the event or in connection with any illness or injury or cost of medical treatment in connection therewith, and agree to compensate Lemonade Alley, BizGym Foundation, their designates, sponsors, officers, committee members, employees, and agents reasonable attorney’s fees and expenses arising in connection therewith. Parents and Guardians herein confirm that each has respective rights to enter into this Agreement, and that each is not restricted by Lemonade Alley, BizGym Foundation, their designates, sponsors, officers, committee members, employees, and agents from any and all claims known and unknown arising out of or in any way connected with the above granted uses and representations.