Lemonade Alley Rules & Requirements
Smart entrepreneurs read rules carefully to find opportunities to be great ~ so READ ON! The following rules apply to you and your team. Check back frequently for updates:
Your team must conform to the following:
- 1-5 Students Per Team.
- Two Age Divisions: Grades K-6 & 7-12
- Mixed-GradeTeams: Teams with students in both grade ranges must compete in the 7-12 division
- Adult Team Mentor: Name a Mentor to serve as your team manager and primary contact.
- Team Visioner (the evangelist): Name a team leader who will act as your main spokesperson.
- Team Counter (the money person): Designate a team member to handle forms and donations. Adults are welcome to help with these duties, especially in the K-6 division.
- Helpers: You may include any number of adults and friends to help, however only official team members are eligible to receive awards and prizes.
2. Your Charity or School Group Beneficiary
Your team’s net income will be contributed to the charity or school group under the following rules:
- Nonprofit Organizations: You may contribute all or part of your profit proceeds to any charity provided it’s an officially recognized nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Such beneficiaries will be required to provide proof of official Federal Certification.
- School Groups: You may contribute all or part of your profit proceeds to a school group including your own class, club or school.
- Presentation of Donation: Following the competition, Bizgenics Foundation will send you a check written to your nonprofit or school group so your team can personally present the donation. We suggest taking a picture so you can, share your story on our Blog »
- Default Charity (Bizgenics Foundation): Bizgenics Foundation is designated as the default nonprofit if you don’t select a charity. If you contribute to our Foundation, we’ll thank you profusely and use the money to bring Lemonade Alley to other kids in the future.
3. Event Scrip, Donations & Reimbursements
During the event, your Team Counter (the money person) will make periodic income deposits to the “Lemon Bank.” The Lemon Bank keeps your business safe from having large amounts of cash on hand and to allow our staff to record your BizzyB impacts so you may be eligible for awards and prizes. Your Team Counter is responsible for all form filings:
- “Lemon Bank” Deposits: Each Team Counter is responsible for completing deposit forms and turning in scrip and cash donations on a periodic basis during the main event. These deposit times will be announced on the loud speaker.
- BizzyB.com Impact Recording: You can record impacts at BizzyB.com via your mobile devices or visit the Lemon Bank where pads and trained tellers will be available.
- Expense Reimbursement Forms: Each Team Counter is responsible for completing reimbursement forms and including copies of all receipts. Reimbursements will only be honored for expenses documented by receipt copies.
- Charity / School Selection Form: Each Team Counter is responsible for filing the Charity / School Selection Form and other official documents.
“Lemon Bank” tellers will check-in all forms for tabulation and accounting purposes. Adults are welcome to help with these duties, especially in the K-6 division.
4. Sales Environment (Your Booth)
Your team booth must conform to the following rules:
- Design Requirements
- 1-72″Lx30″Wx30″ long table and two chairs: Each team may create their sales booths of recycled/reusable materials. There will be enough space for you to also bring a second preparation table and equipment. Teams will be allowed into the building two hours (8 a.m.) before the start of the event to build their sales environment.
- StoryTree Business Plan (Minimum size 8 1/2″ X 11″ poster) must be displayed on your booth so Judges can review your Business Plan. Teams are encouraged to treat this as a creative, artistic project.
- Free-Standing: Nothing can be secured (taped or nailed) to any walls or objects.
- No Blocking Other Teams: You cannot block any team’s booths or make loud sounds that unfairly disadvantage other booths. You must be cool. You must be fair.
- Technical Provisions
- Electric Power: Limited electrical power is available on-site. Battery-powered equipment and lighting is permitted. Generators are not permitted.
- Sound is Permitted: Sound and in-booth activities are permitted. However, they should not disturb or unfairly impinge on neighboring booths.
- Additional Items
- Uniforms (Optional): Uniforms are not required, but are encouraged.
- Mascots & Callers: Are permitted within the event area, but may not impede traffic. They are not permitted to leave the event area, enter stores, the Food Court, theaters or parking lot.
- NO PETS: Only human animals are allowed at the event and in booths. Cats, dogs, mice, etc. are not allowed.
- Lemonade Making Requirements
- Lemonade Recipe: “Lemoniness” is key judging criteria, thus it’s a good idea to include lemon juice or zest as a key ingredient. Frozen and shave ice recipes are allowed. Recipes must be legal and safe to consume. No alcohol is permitted.
- No Heated Products (Unless Prepared & Packaged in a Commercial Kitchen): For food safety reasons, you cannot use heating elements to prepare food or drink products unless they’re prepared and packaged in a certified kitchen like a restaurant. Partnering with restaurants and other foodservice enterprises is encouraged. They know about food safety and can help create recipes. These partners can also help with promotions, such as putting your recipes on their menus and donating a percentage of proceeds to your team. Pre-packaged snacks purchased at a store are permitted. Home-made baked goods are not permitted. Heating elements are not allowed.
- Recommended 3 Ounce Small Cups: Most people visiting Lemonade Alley like to sample many recipes so consider very small serving sizes so they don’t waste a lot of lemonade. If you want to make more money, make your lemonade fancier or sell additional items like crafts or game plays. This is only a recommendation, so you’re free to make any size, any price lemonade you wish.
- Additional Offerings Allowed: You are permitted to offer items other than lemonade as a way to increase income. Games and craft products are permitted as long as they are safe and legal.
- Taste Tasters for Judges: You must provide free taste samples for a panel of 6 Judges. During the Taste Test portion of the competition, a volunteer will come to your lemonade stand and escort your team to the main stage for presentation of your recipe to the Judges. Your lemonade Maker will be interviewed on stage about the recipe as Judges are tasting your recipe.
- Food Safety Certification Test: Teams serving beverages must complete and display this form on your lemonade stand.
- Hand-Washing/Gloves: Hand washing, gloves and other sanitation requirements will be strictly enforced.
- Dumping Station: Environmental Protection Agency laws require that no liquids, even excess ice, can be dumped in landscape areas. Ask for the location of the approved Dump Station. Substantial fines may occur if you’re caught and your team will be held solely responsible for such penalties.
- Supplies, Equipment & Reimbursements: You must provide your own serving containers, signage and any other items necessary to the functioning of your booth. You may apply for reimbursements provided you complete a Reimbursement Form and submit receipts. Apply for reimbursement from your sales income before the end of show day at the Lemon Bank.
All teams are encouraged to do pre-marketing (and pre-donations). This helps raise more money for your charity or school and ultimately gets more people to the event.
- Dry Runs: You can sell anytime before the Main Event. Pre-events are a good way to make your business show-ready. You are encouraged to do surveys to gain feedback before the event.
- Media Promotions: You are encouraged to call TV, radio, newspaper, magazine and other media outlets to tell the story of your booth and the charity or school that you are supporting. Many teams have succeeded in getting into local press. If you do, be sure to mention when and where your event is so viewers can visit your booth. You are also encouraged to thank your event’s main sponsors in interviews as they make Lemonade Alley possible.
- Social Media: Team members or helpers who are old enough to legally maintain social media accounts may promote their teams on networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and others. You may open pages, make movies and post fun things to promote and keep followers up to date on your Lemonade Alley for Earth Day experience. You may ask other students and adults for help but must keep all posted content legal and in good taste.
- Other Promotions: Flyers, business cards, discount coupons and other promotions are encouraged as long as they’re in good taste, safe for the environment and legal.
6. Product Taste Test ~ Main Stage
Teams will present products to a panel of Judges at the Main Stage and must confirm to the following rules:
- No Performing: While your Maker will be interviewed as to the recipe, your team will not perform during the taste test. This is strictly a product presentation without sales pitching (there is a separate Sales Pitch section noted below).
7. 1-Minute Sales Pitch ~ Main Stage
Your Sales Pitch must conform to the following rules:
- 1- Minute on Stage: You will get exactly one minute to pitch why people should purchase your item. You may sing, rap, dance, use signs, do a skit, just talk or do anything as long as it’s in good taste and fair to other contestants. Profanity and other non-PG Rated presentations are not allowed.
- Microphones & Music: Mics will be provided for your sales pitch. Music tapes are allowed and must be presented to the stage crew before you come to the stage.
- Timer & Gong: A stage manager will time your pitch and gong you off stage when time expires.
8. Calculation of Distributions
Monetary distributions will be sent to each Team Leader’s legal guardian by mail following the competition. Distributions are calculated as follows:
- Expense Reimbursements: Reimbursement checks will be paid back to teams from their Gross Income (sales proceeds). Legitimate expenses must be submitted through a Reimbursement Form in order to qualify.
- Charity / School Donations: Net Income (amount remaining after subtracting Reimbursements from Gross Income) will be distributed by check made out to each team’s charity or school. Charity donation checks will be mailed to each Team’s Mentor so teams can personally present funds.
Awards and Prizes will be available in various categories such as Sales Environment, Business Plan, Product Test, Sales Pitch, People Impacts, Planetary Impacts and Philanthropic Impacts.
To keep up with prize opportunities, see Judging Criteria »
10. Be Cool Rule
This provision requires that you play fairly, honestly and safely in the best interest of a healthy and positive business community at Lemonade Alley for Earth Day. It also requires that you do not unfairly overshadow or disturb other competitors from transacting their businesses. Violations of this rule will be handled case-by-case by event staff and may include you being required to stop a specific action or make amends. A particularly negative situation may result in disqualification and ejection from the competition. Please be cool.
General Terms & Conditions
Lemonade Alley is presented by your local producer for the betterment of youth, charities, schools and the community at large. Supporting licensor Bizgenics Foundation (“Sponsor”), corporate donors, judges, volunteers and VIPs are not presenting entities and thus not responsible for any event activities or liabilities stemming from local events.
By entering this Contest, you (Entrant), your guardians and designates agree to release, hold harmless and indemnify Sponsor, producers, organizers, their affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, judges, and each of their respective shareholders, directors, officers, employees or representatives from and against any and all liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, harm, damage (including but not limited to property damage, personal injury and/or death), claims, actions, costs and expenses (including without limitation, all attorneys’ fees and court costs) arising directly or indirectly from or in connection with any prize or resulting from participation in this Contest or from acceptance, possession or use/misuse of any prize or participation in any prize-related activity or use by the Sponsor of the Entry in any manner.
In the event any Participant is a minor under applicable state law, the parent or legal guardian will be required to sign all required documents stated herein.
Submission of a Contest Entry will constitute and signify the Entrant’s agreement and consent (or that of parent or legal guardian if Entrant is an eligible minor under applicable law) that the Sponsor and/or the Sponsor’s assignees may use the Entry, name, photograph, likeness and/or prize information for promotional purposes in commerce and in all media worldwide now known or hereinafter developed without time limitation and without further compensation, except where prohibited. Submission of a Contest Entry grants the Sponsor and its agents the right to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify the Entry in any way, in commerce and in any and all media worldwide now known or hereinafter invented, without time limitation and without further consideration to the Entrant. Submission of any Entry further constitutes the Entrant’s (or his/her parent’s or guardian’s) consent to irrevocably assign and transfer to the Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in and to the Entry, including, without limitation, all intellectual property rights.
All Prize Winners and Beneficiaries are solely responsible for any local, state, or federal taxes on prizes. Prizes will be void where prohibited.
If, for any reason, this Contest is not capable of running as planned by any cause which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, or if due to any technical, production or other error, more prizes are claimed or awarded than are described in these Official Rules at any prize level, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Contest and determine the Winners from entries received prior to action taken, or as otherwise deemed fair and equitable by Sponsor.
You also agree not to violate any dumping, health safety, public assembly or any other laws. In the event that you violate any such laws, you solely bear resulting liabilities for your actions.
Prizes, even if stated in Official Rules are not guaranteed to be awarded. By entering, Entrants agree and consent: (a) that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of Official Rules, Entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with this Contest, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of Hawaii, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, and (b) to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in Honolulu, Hawaii.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of an Entrant, such Entry will be deemed to be made by the authorized account holder of the e‑mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is deemed as the natural person who is assigned to an e‑mail address by an Internet access provider, service provider or other online organization that is responsible for assigning e‑mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e‑mail address. Neither Sponsor nor its agencies are responsible for lost, late, stolen, illegible, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete, or non-delivered entries; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Website or other connections availability, accessibility or traffic congestion, or miscommunications, or failed computer, network, telephone, satellite, or cable hardware, software or lines, or technical failure, or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions, or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of Entry or other information or the failure to capture, or loss of, any such information. Neither Sponsor nor its agencies are responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Website users, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest and assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or tampering with or hacking of Website. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds may be tampering with the entry process or operation of this Contest or Website, may be acting in violation of the terms of the Website or the Official Rules or may be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to threaten, abuse or harass any other person. Any attempt to deliberately damage any Website or undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is unlawful and subject to legal action by Sponsor or its agents.
IN NO EVENT WILL SPONSOR, ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES AND RELATED COMPANIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS CONTEST, INCLUDING ENTRANTS ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE CONTEST INTERNET SITE OR DOWNLOADING FROM AND OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURSIDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
GUARDIAN CONSENT: Parents and Guardians hereby grant permission for Entrants to participate in the Lemonade Alley competition. Activities include, but are not limited to, Entrants making a 1-page business plan, making lemonade, building a lemonade stand, pitching on stage, and selling lemonade to raise money for charity or school. Transportation to and from the site as well as Entrant supervision is the sole responsibility of respective Parents & Guardians.
INSURANCE: Lemonade Alley activities take place under the guidance and direction of the Bizgenics Foundation which is also the producing body for the event that is supplying liability insurance.
MEDICAL INSURANCE: Parents and Guardians assume all responsibility for the health of their respective Entrants. In the event of an emergency, telephone numbers will be held on file by Lemonade Alley staff for use in the case of emergency.
IMAGES: Photos and videos taken at various Lemonade Alley events may be posted to various publicity-disseminated media. Parents and Guardians herby grant Lemonade Alley and its designees the right to use their own and respective Entrant’s likeness, image, voice, appearance and performance in connection with program activities including workshops whether recorded on or transferred to videotape, film, slides, photographs, audio tapes, or other media, now known or later developed. This grant includes without limitation the right to edit, mix, or duplicate and use or re-use Content in whole or part as Lemonade Alley may elect. Lemonade Alley or its designee shall have complete ownership of Content, including copyright interests, and Parents and Guardians acknowledge they have no interest or ownership in Content or its copyright. Parents and Guardians also grant Lemonade Alley and its designees the right to broadcast, exhibit, market, sell and otherwise distribute Content, either in whole or in part, and either alone or with other content for commercial or non-commercial television or theater, closed-circuit exhibition, internet distribution, home video distribution or any other purpose that Lemonade Alley or its designees in their sole discretion may determine. This grant includes the right to use Content for promoting or publicizing any of the uses. Parents and Guardians hereby gives all clearances, copyright and otherwise for the use of their own and respective Entrant’s name, likeness, image voice, appearance and performance embodied in the Content. The rights granted Lemonade Alley herein are perpetual and worldwide.
HOLD HARMLESS & INDEMNIFICATION: Parents and Guardians agree to remain legally responsible for any and all personal actions taken by their respective Entrants along with team mentors, friends, family and others associated with team entries. Parents and Guardians agree on behalf of themselves and their respective Entrants named herein to hold harmless and defend Lemonade Alley, the Bizgenics Foundation, their designates, sponsors, officers, committee members, employees and agents from any and all claims known and unknown arising out of or in any way connected with the event or in connection with any illness or injury or cost of medical treatment in connection therewith, and agree to compensate Lemonade Alley, Bizgenics Foundation, their designates, sponsors, officers, committee members, employees, and agents reasonable attorney’s fees and expenses arising in connection therewith. Parents and Guardians herein confirm that each has respective rights to enter into this Agreement, and that each is not restricted by Lemonade Alley, Bizgenics Foundation, their designates, sponsors, officers, committee members, employees, and agents from any and all claims known and unknown arising out of or in any way connected with the above granted uses and representations.